Google Results

Friday, May 2, 2008

Trying something new

So I've had this problem my entire life: I never could find a hobby that I enjoy on a long-term basis. It really has been a source of frustration in the past for me. I wondered what was wrong with me? Why couldn't I find something I LIKE to do, instead of something I like to learn about and then get bored with? I'm sure there are 'others' like me out there...the eternally bored.

Now, I've always loved looking at people. I love how unique people are, and I see beauty in everyone. It's something that I've always enjoyed doing, but I never would have described it as a 'hobby' more of a silly personality trait. I just love watching people. Not in a creepy way, don't worry ;) Well, I've always loved photography. When I was a little girl I finally got my own camera...it was just a cheap little thing that my mom bought for me, but I was so excited. I would dream about the beautiful photographs I was taking--you know, I could actually see them in my head. But did they ever turn out? No!! Of course not! In fact, the more pictures I took, the more frustrated I'd become--I started cutting people's heads in half because I couldn't even hold my camera still enough to push the shutter button. I figured that photography was just not my forte. I decided in highschool to take a class on photography, and while I enjoyed it, I never felt like I had the ability to produce what I wanted...looking back, it was probably partly due to the fact that the class was only a quarter. Anyway...I was discouraged.

After my baby girl was born I was inspired to really learn how to do this, or at least attempt to. I bought a starter camera, hoping I wouldn't get bored and stop using it within the next month. Well, 6 months went by and I was still hooked. I have come to realize that one of the things that keeps me so fascinated with photography is that I have SO much to learn, and the art is constantly evolving and pushing into new styles and territory. It excites me to no end. I cannot get bored:)

Well, in pushing myself, I made some goals this year. I've been primarily a natural light photographer, which I intend to keep doing, but one of my goals this year was to learn about lighting. Last night my darling, supportive husband, brought me home my lights...I only have two and have NO idea what I'm doing yet, but wanted to share my first attempt with you. My intention is to use the lights for on-location work for newborns and maternities--where there might not be enough available light--this will give me more flexibility to give you some wonderful images. Additionally, I'm hoping it will help with doing a few indoor sessions during the slower winter months.

...and no, this wasn't the exciting news I mentioned in my last post....I'm still keeping you waiting.

12 comments:

laura s. said...

If Kate still counts as newborn at almost 6 weeks, you can practice on her if you want!

Joanna Taylor said...

Rad! I would totally love too:)

Alexa said...

How fun, Joanna -- I can't wait to see what you do with the lights! :)

Kelli said...

It's always fun to read of another photographer's journey..Thanks for sharing! And, your work is beautiful. Good luck with the new lights!

Anonymous said...

Agreed; beautiful!! I love that you found something you love :)

Hilllary Howland said...

You rocked the home lighting set up! And come on already I'm checking every hour to see the news...it better be good!

Amanda Bishop said...

I'm jealous of your new lights. What kind did you get? You are talented and I love your style. I need to get you a list of upcoming shoots and we can learn from each other.

Joanna Taylor said...

Hey Amanda--I'd love to get together and shoot, it would be so fun! I'll email you:)

Jean Smith said...

just found your blog through heather's blog. isn't it crazy how artificial lighting can be so intimidating? your first attempt is great...love the pic

Nick and Laura said...

Jo- Lulu looks completely stunning in this picture! Wow! Raving beauty just like all the other ladies in her fam!

Windy said...

the pics so far look great... super excited to see ours with your super HOT lamps!

Unknown said...

Jo, this is great! Glad to see you starting with the lights, what kind are they?