Google Results

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Beloved Sessions

Warning: Wordy post ahead....there are pictures at the end, but I do hope you'll read.

I recently read a blog post by Seth Godin. A portion of it goes (emphasis added):
If you read a book that tries to change you for the better and it fails or doesn't resonate, then it's a self-help book.

If you read a book that actually succeeds in changing you for the better, then the label changes from self-help book to great book.

We don't like books that fail, because they waste our time, they offend us, they speak a different language or they make us feel out of sorts. Self-help books are a bane.

On the other hand, a book that resonates with us, whether it's Catcher in the Rye, The War of Art or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance earns a place of trust and we revere it and tell others.
Now what does this have to do with photography?

When I was at WPPI I had the opportunity to take classes and learn from really incredible photographers. The thing that I kept hearing was the thing I needed to be reminded of most:
JUST BE YOU!

One of the classes I went to touched me so deeply. I walked away realizing that it is possible for me to shoot the way that I've always wanted to. It's like I walked away, having been given permission, to photograph the beauty of human relationships in a way that breaks the traditional bounds of photography. No, not in the way that I shoot, but in the way that I approach each opportunity, the way I see each person. The class helped me remember that
each person holds a unique beauty
each person deserves to feel loved
-and love in return-
each couple deserves to remember why they fell in love
and
that each person deserves to let those feelings

resonate in them
change them
better them

and it's possible for me to help them see these things, in themselves and in each other.

In Jesh De Rox's movement, Beloved, we are reminded of these things. I am so happy to announce an addition of the Beloved Session as something I offer. You can be in a new relationship, or married for 50 years. It doesn't matter. These sessions are designed to capture what it is that is beautiful to you. To capture your relationship, and what makes it meaningful.

Brandie and Conley had an engagement session in the winter, and it got cut a little short, so in this session we did more. We pushed boundaries, we laughed, we cried. I feel so blessed to be part of their lives and part of their adventure. After their session, Conley emailed me and said, "I know I've said it before, but we really are so excited to have you as a part of this. Brandie isn't particularly outgoing, but she has no trouble warming up to you at all! You bring out sides of her that not everyone gets to see. Thank you so much!! I love your work, and am honored to have you do our wedding." Melt. My. Heart. THIS is why I do what I do.

I hope you enjoy a preview of their Beloved session.

If you are interested in scheduling a Beloved session, contact me. I'm offering a special deal for the first five couples to book. Remember, you don't have to be newly engaged...I'd love to offer this to anyone-dating couples or married many, many years. It's about you and celebrating each other.










21 comments:

the purple sprout said...

Oh, I love your wordy post...and the beloved session idea. I think that this is just what this world needs, more celebration of the little things that keep this world spinning round. Love ya, Jo! :)

Pete and Mare said...

I really enjoy your blog. What a beautiful couple! You do such an amazing job capturing their joy! Just beautiful! Hope all is well for you guys! Love you, Mare

Kelli Bramble said...

Beautiful. So glad you're doing these. :)

Britney said...

These make me feel happy, great work Joanna! Can't wait to see more.

Mary Denton Taylor said...

Love your thoughts Joanna. Love your photos just as much if not more!! ;) Fabulous job!

Shay Voorhees said...

These are lovely. You can see the emotion -- love it!

DarbyM said...

Joanna these are beautiful, that 3 one you can just feel the love!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I love the idea of just being you- having your own style- not worrying about copying others or getting a certain "look". You rock, girl.

Kristie Young said...

Very nice Joanna! I have thought the same thing before and it feels good to have it reiterated. You are great at what you do. I love the way I feel when I look at these images. Well done. :)

Unknown said...

LOVE this post...love love love...that's all I can say. The photos are gorgeous...good to see them again. ;) Cute couple. Love everything you do...always.

Melanie Reyes said...

Stunning work!

Brooke said...

How gorgeous! They are clearly so incredibly in love and you captured that perfectly!! Gorgeous Joanna, xoxoxo!

Ellen Dykstra said...

You can feel so many emotions in these- what a treasure for this couple to have. Every couple should have a 'Beloved' session!

Diane {Palmyra, PA Photographer} said...

Love the variety and the love the images show. Great job!

Becky Earl said...

Gorgeous images Joanna! And what a beautiful idea. Loved your post. Love your art!!!

Heather said...

Awesome! Glad to see the movement taking hold! That was an amazing class at WPPI... and these are amazing images! love it!!!

Joy said...

Gorgeous, Joanna. Beautiful!

Heather Latimer said...

Gorgeous couple and lovely images of their relationship!!

Cindy said...

I love the bw's, so full of emotion!

Meredith Rowlen said...

They look SOOO Cute!!!

Amy Siniscalchi-Dallas Portrait Photographer said...

I love these. You can just feel the love. What great emotion.